Sunday, December 19, 2010

This Is My Knife


In appreciation of the influx of viewers brought over by my recent post about TAD Gear, I thought it might be appropriate to start throwing in a few reviews of gear and gadgets. I don't intend to present myself as having any measurable level of expertise, but it couldn't hurt to share my opinion as a user. So, let me start off by sharing my thoughts on a simple folding blade that has earned a reserved parking space in my left front pocket. I will, however, start by saying that I think the most important knife choice anyone will make is not necessarily the one which drains their wallet the most. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with such upper end, collector level, knife purchases, far from it. I just don't feel I'm alone in believing that the most important knives, the ones we use most often, are the ones we have on us if and when we should need them. That's where this specimen fits in. The Benchmade 527 Mini Presidio Ultra proves itself as an excellent choice for everyday carry applications, and remains the one in my pocket. 


Now, before anyone gets upset, I'm not claiming that such a tool should be carried for defense reasons. Such a necessity could present itself, but I've come to learn that carrying a knife as often as possible proves worthwhile for more docile reasons. I never really felt the need to carry any kind of sharp object until I started working with an avid knife collector. Though he spent over a year trying to convince me I should, I never felt the need. Finally, he took it upon himself to buy me one as a gift. Well, anyone who knows me knows I can't help but feel both obliged and pleased to carry or use something given to me as a gift by someone who cares about me. So, from then on, I have carried it almost everywhere where I found it to be responsible and appropriate. It's been over a year, but I can't count how many times I've snapped it out. It's helped me open boxes in a pinch, cut a thread off some clothing that has started to come unraveled, cut some bandaging to size, and various other random actions. Plus, I actually think its a pretty attractive looking accessory. To start breaking it down, let me talk about the non-performance related aspects, or the positives of this blade while closed.


First of all, at 3.2 ounces, it has a respectable but manageable weight. That number may not mean much, but, to give a comparison, an iPhone weighs 4.8 ounces without a case. So, it's two thirds the weight of the trusty iPhone, and that's thanks, partially, to the metal liner being ingeniously milled out. Next, with a closed length of 4.15 inches, it's also quite compact and just a touch shorter than that same iPhone. If you are one to believe this knife's small blade size makes it unsuitable, I would just recommend carrying a larger knife in your pack, but, as far as general in-pocket applications, I think it's perfectly acceptable and doesn't fall short. Then, there is the handle material, which Benchmade refers to as Noryl GTX. I'm not going to go into specifics as to what it's made of, nor am I going to compare it to a bunch of other handles due to lack of exposure. I will, however, summarize and say that it must stand for some variant on the term "great traction" because this plastic provides a great amount of grip without being rough to the touch.



Still talking about the in-pocket benefits, let me touch on the clip itself, the little item that keeps it securely in your pocket. A typical complaint with more compact blades is that they have a tendency to jump out of th pocket, but the handle is cleverly secured to the handle using three screws near the very end, and that allows the blade to sit very low in the pocket. Working in unison with the handle on the other side, it fastens itself gently and securely to that same pocket without tearing it to pieces. Moreover, I don't know how intentional it may have been, but I find the indent at the end very practical to index with my thumb when removing it from my pocket. As far as other ingenious design accents, Mel Pardue smoothly introduced a lanyard hole near the clip which would allow the user to secure it to an even higher degree or just modify it for their own needs. I think that's enough about the closed benefits for now. So, though there was a teaser of a picture at the beginning of this post, let's open it up and take a look at some performance aspects. That is where a true knife shows its metal, no pun intended.


Where else could you start when talking about actuating a folding knife than by talking about the locking mechanism itself, and that is something Benchmade has truly turned into a work of mechanical art. I'm not going to go into the specifics, but what their work has resulted in is an ergonomic actuation and retraction that is easy with either hand. They have also managed to create a balance between being easily able to fold the blade with a single hand but creating a very secure lock once that motion is completed. To top it all off, it's lightning quick. It flips open quickly and effortlessly. Add it all together, and you can see what I mean about it truly being a small wonder.


Once opened, the knife is extremely balanced. I've never been extremely comfortable with any kind of blade, and I've definitely had my share of slips. Somehow, even though I find myself with a well-earned reputation of accidentally injuring myself, I have yet to let this blade split my skin. It's not the least bit on the clumsy side. It feels like the metaphorical extension of the hand to which people so commonly refer.


Now that we have it open, it's time to talk about the true heart of the knife, the blade, and, like always, its an aspect where Benchmade doesn't disappoint. As far as shape, it's a classic hollow-ground drop point, and, though that's a simple way to go, it's classic for a reason. It's practical, it's elegant, and it suits this three-inch blade perfectly. Material and production-wise, it's made of 440C steel, with an outstanding heat treatment, and it's hardened up to 5860, but those numbers might not mean much to most people. What does matter is that it's extremely durable and very resistant to rust. If you're worried about it rusting, let me just say that, even with as little as I care for it, such concerns have yet to present themselves. As far as cutting power, this blade is true to Benchmade's reputation. It's razor sharp out of the box, slices through boxes and such with no need to hack away, and it keeps an edge. Though I would recommend owning a sharpener, I have yet to need one. Add to that that Benchmade offers a lifetime sharpening service, and I can't imaging why anyone would worry about it.


The only complaint I could see is that this knife is a touch on the thick side in comparison to other ultra compact knife models, but I have never found that to be an issue. It's still absolutely manageable and feels good both in the hand and in the pocket.  So, I guess that covers the cool factor of the knife with regards to it being closed. If your just looking for simple practicality and a touch of clean design styling, Mel Pardue doesn't disappoint, and neither does Benchmade as a brand.


As far as value, with Benchmade setting a suggested retail of $90, I wouldn't say this is expensive, but it is a premium knife. You pay a little extra, but you aren't paying anywhere near the price of a Strider, and I don't think anyone is getting shorted. This is a knife that could last a lifetime if proper attention were paid, and, in my opinion, all of those beautifully engineered components, even just those to actuate the blade, would warrant the price tag. Of course it could be damaged through mistreatment, but, if one were to take care of it, it could easily be passed on to their offspring. In my opinion, that's a good value and a great reason to adopt it as a daily carry option.


Some would say that receiving it as a gift has tainted any form of objectivity, and though there may be some foundation to such a statement, I don't think I've ever done something I did not desire. Carrying this knife is something I do out of choice, and it's a choice I make proudly. If you look at the wear on the clip, you can easily tell I don't carry it lightly, but it puts up with the abuse. So, from a materialistic standpoint, it may not stand apart from the competition, but it's perfect for me. If you add to it that very fact, that a great friend bought it to introduce me to the everyday carry (EDC) scene, I would think replacing it would manifest itself a strenuous situation. Luckily, I really don't think that is much of a concern. Though I may bring it home some friends, I don't think I could ever replace it. I guess what I'm saying is that there are many like it, but this is my knife.

No comments:

Post a Comment