Saturday, December 4, 2010

Creative Solutions


Just a few days ago, I found these bananas on our kitchen table (above), and it seemed they had been there for a while. Sure, I could have just moved them to a more suitable location (further on their journey towards either the trash or a fine piece of banana bread), but what would that help? It would have fixed the current situation of having them litter our kitchen (very minimally, but still), but it would have, most likely, done very little to steer the guilty party towards a remedy of their methods and actions. I choose to remain positive about the world and individuals around me, especially my family or those with whom I choose to live (that, eventually, become somewhat family to me), and, as such, I didn't feel offended by it. If the offending individual left them there, they most likely saw no wrong in it. However, little messes could quickly get out of hand in a house of three men (I still can't accept that label for myself) in their mid twenties, and I thought of a way that would both be fun for me and possibly lead to some solvency (I'm really coming across as afflicted with a touch of OCD at this point, aren't I?). So, I labeled the bananas much as a curator would label a piece of art. If this was, in fact, a rigorous scientific study, I felt it would be wrong for me to destroy its progress, but I could still observe and label it. It turns out that, though it was good for a slight chuckle, I was even wrong about who the guilty party might be. It turns out TheGeorgeF was absolutely innocent and that Mike (I think I might call him "James Van Der Beek" for anonymity in the future) had left them out. Luckily, I was not upset about the bananas in the first place, and I was simply filling the vast amounts of time I find myself roaming this house. I cannot, however, help thinking about how embarrassed I would have felt having launched into an attack of whichever house member I thought was guilty. It really got me thinking...

These days, people seem far too apt to look at a problem and attack with the most extreme measure of aggression. For instance, a parent will notice some dirty laundry left about or some other form of general disorder and, without thinking, proceed to yell at the person they believe is most likely culpable. Though it may prove to be very effective in teaching a lesson, it's not a protocol to which I find myself strongly drawn. I'm not saying I've never found myself guilty of it, but there is just something about its harsh and violent nature that I just can't seem to take a liking to. Since I believe it builds the level of hostility between parties, I would prefer to find a constructive and possibly humorous approach towards solving it. If we, as individuals, can proceed in such a manner, which I find more pleasant, I think we'll find ourselves just absolutely cursed with that thing they call low or normal blood pressure. Wouldn't that be just plain awful? 

I'll try it out, and I might just revisit this at a later date, but so far it seems I might, at least, have some fun with it. So, from now on, you just might find me trying to dissect whatever problems, big or small, cross my path and striking back with some creative solutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment