Sunday, December 12, 2010

The "Ph" Doesn't Help


There's always been something fun about glow-in-the-dark accessories, but there is just something about these new Nooka Mercury (link below) glasses that puzzles me. The thoughts are like a bad cold, and I just can't seem to shake them. I guess Blaise Pascal was right, "you always admire what you don't understand". I really can't wrap my hands around what would lead someone to find any practicality in the application of glow-in-the-dark technology to a pair of sunglasses. So, I did a little research.

The concept is, of course, pretty simple. These sunglasses would appear light blue in the daytime, but would glow a vividly fluorescent green at night. The whole glow-in-the-dark concept is nothing new, and this definitely isn't pushing the limits of its application, and neither are the lenses. They aren't even polarized. What confused me was the concept of wearing sunglasses at night. Since Nooka is listed as retailer of luxury goods (I think that's a stretch), I thought I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. This company may be pretty new to the scene, but they definitely don't find themselves in a shortage of respect from hipsters. That's when it hit me.


They are attempting to market them to the small sector of our society that finds it stylish to wear sunglasses in the club. No matter how much Corey Hart sang about it in the 80s (link below), I just can't embrace the practice. Though my club exposure may be light, I never noticed the need to shield myself from any bright lights. It just feels like a proclamation of your foolishness. It's attempting to extend accessories that may be suitable in the day into a night-time scene, and I think it sends a bad message. Wearing sunglasses indoors, at night, can only lead people to assume that either your fashion sense is misguided or that you are attempting to hide your wandering eyes, and neither one of those is a positive reflection on yourself. I guess, now that I think about it, I'd like to suggest that all the self-proclaimed players out there ditch the shades and join the rest of us. I know styles make a comeback, but this one shouldn't have. It didn't work in the 80s, and I really hope it doesn't work now.


Well, I guess, now that I've explored it, I can come up with a solid stance on the subject. Though, as they don't appeal to my attempt at style, I wouldn't have expected myself to purchase any of Nooka's products, I know I won't be getting any of these. I think their products are really fun, and I can see their appeal to a few of my friends that come to mind. I just don't know how I'll react if I find out they like them, much less if they actually bought a pair. As I went into this, I was puzzled, but I was also intrigued, and I honestly considered them, at least as a fun option to throw into my drawer, but that has change. I think my abused wallet will thank me for that conclusion. I guess the French mathematician was right. At first, I was puzzled, but I found them entertaining and, to a degree, captivating. Now that I understand them, I don't like them. I guess you can call this my first official hater post, but it feels like a fashion tragedy. It just makes you look like an idiot in my book. Unless your name is Kanye West and you happen to be pushing your new trend of shutter shades, take them off. Actually, you too Kanye. If it was, in fact, such an awesome idea, why would they be such a hot-seller at the Halloween Store (link below)? It doesn't matter if you think misspelling the word "fresh" makes it sound more legitimate. You still look foolish, and the "ph" doesn't help.

Links:
Nooka: Mercury
Corey Hart: Sunglasses at Night
Halloween Store: Shutter Shades

No comments:

Post a Comment