Tuesday, December 14, 2010

That's Up To You


Dear AT&T,

     Our relationship was born of a surplus of excitement. We paired up amidst the confusion of the summer months between my high school and college years. Finding out that Sprint would not provide adequate coverage in Davis left me heartbroken, but you were there to pick up the pieces. You put a Motorola Slvr into my hands, and seeing those four solid bars in my dorm room made me feel I hadn't lost touch with the family I left in San Jose. The Slvr was loyal and reliable, but you introduced me to Apple and its iPhone. I was anxious, but I was excited. Since then, our little love triangle has been amazing, and I don't regret a minute of it.

     Many people may have complained about you deserting them, leaving them high and dry with no reception, stranded. I was a little worried, but I trusted you, and I always advocated your power and support. Some complained of being able to shield their phone in such a way that no calls could be made, but I wouldn't hear it. I couldn't blame Apple or AT&T. You two have always been fair to me, and I dismissed the entire plausibility as a result of their own malpractice. Though I have yet to bring a new iPhone 4 into my life, I have never had any such conflict with my ability to stay connected. Even at the peak of Whistler Blackcomb (Whistler, BC), I was able to keep in touch with my loved ones.

     I wouldn't say we had many, but we did have our fights. There were those times I wanted to upgrade my hardware prematurely, but you wouldn't let me. There were those times I reconsidered my commitment level and wanted to cut down the time for which I was paying you. No, I'm not trying to make you sound cheap. I just felt I was putting in too much and not getting anything in return, but you wouldn't have it, and you told me how much I would suffer for such a choice. Our biggest fight had to be on that very same trip to Whistler. You made sure I wouldn't be left alone, but you hit me with the biggest bill I have ever seen. It may have been jealousy or simply anxiety about my distance, but I wasn't shopping around for another carrier. I was surfing the internet, but you should have known I would come back to you. As I look back on everything, it seems most fights were born of my foolishness, and you were always there to calm me down. We stuck together, and I'm glad we did.

     Yesterday, I made the poor choice of posting some poorly chosen words to my Twitter page (which I have attached as "evidence"). It was a simple tweet, but maybe I shouldn't have expressed my intent to upgrade my iPhone 3GS to an iPhone 4. I'm sorry. I know it may seem cruel, but, though a supportive companion, my iPhone 3GS is starting to show its age. I have abused her, but she stuck by me. Lately, she's a little sluggish, barely responding to my requests, and even then at her own leisure. I know it's conceited, but I feel people are judging me for not moving on. I will not forget her, but I feel I must let her go. I thought I was merely telling my friends, or the few people that choose to follow my tweets, but that was a peace you quickly stole from me.

     This morning, I received an email telling me that you had heard my words (once again, below), and you were now following my musings. I felt trapped. I felt as if my privacy had been invaded. In my eyes, you were showing your spiteful side again. I felt even more hurt when you brought your friend, RCE Tracking, into the ranks of my Twitter followers (again, below). In your e-stalking attempt, which you may have felt would go unnoticed, you announced yourself as the metaphorical Cheetah chasing me through these plains. Though TheGeorgeF reassures me my mountain scaling abilities are similar to that of the Gazelle, I wish it hadn't come to this. I don't like feeling such distrust. I was not trying to hide from you (I am even showing you now), and I didn't want to leave you. You say you want to send me some fabulous and enticing offers, but you didn't need to take it here. You are only cheapening our relationship and causing tension where none need be.

    I know this may come across as somewhat of a rant, and I did draw some inspiration from Jeramey Kraatz and his Google Documents breakup letter, but I think we can work things out. I just wanted to let you know how I feel, and I hope you will take it with some civility. At this point, I still plan to get an iPhone 4, but I'm going to meet in the middle and listen to your request to wait until April. That seems fair, and I can abide. This may appear as a feeble attempt to cover my tracks, masking my missteps, and, to a degree, it may be, but it's more than that. We have come too far to throw it all away. From now on, I'll watch what I say. Even better, I'll hope not to think it.  In the end, I'll say it again. I just wanted to get it out there, and I hope you understand. Twitter asked me at the bottom of those emails, "What's Next?" I really don't know. That's up to you.

Sincerely,

Sizzle

Attachments:
E-Mail and Tweet: Evidence

No comments:

Post a Comment