Thursday, November 4, 2010

Responsibility


Today, I jetted over to Los Angeles to check out the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA) and to hit a few choice shops. It seems that every area of Los Angeles I choose to visit has dedicated all of it's sidewalks to metered parking spaces, and I have no problem with that. I think it's fantastic for a city to both profit from the transportation and accommodation of tourists as well as limit the duration of those visits and stops. The profit part is self-explanatory, but the limitation is key in that it allows more people to visit popular and attractive areas by guiding those before them towards setting a time table. These measures don't directly force people to vacate an area, but the inconvenience and cost of refilling the meter causes people to notice these gaps and possibly consider them appropriate or suitable times to move along to another location. We may find it to be an inconvenience, and it can be, but, in an attempt to try and see the light in most every situation, I give credit to such cities for being seizing such opportunity in such an entrepreneurial manner. That money does, in time, cycle back towards helping the public (in concept), and, in my opinion, that's definitely a morally correct measure.

Sometimes, people choose to forgo those meters and test their luck. Among other reasons, I can credit these actions to disapproval of the concept or practice (sticking it to the man), thrill-seeking (risk of being caught) or simply carelessness (an unintentional lapse in awareness (not noticing the presence of a meter or just forgetting to refill the meter when the time elapses)). Today, after making five stops at retail locations within two miles and within twenty minutes, I made one final stop. Upon parking, I arranged a couple items in the car (glasses and phone), pocketed some change for the meter, used a wet wipe on both my hands and the steering wheel (something felt sticky), and got out of the car (after looking for traffic, of course, mom). The meter was at the front of the car, but I walked around the rear, and, as that happened to line up directly with the front door of the shop, I walked right in (not stopping at the meter). After less than two minutes in the store, I silently questioned (asked myself, if you will) whether I had inserted change into the meter, and, as I was unsure, I hurried outside to check. I was too late. I was greeted by a city worker ticketing my illegally parked car. He seemed ready for the mercy plea, but I was not about to extend one. I expressed remorse, made it clear that I was wrong, and manifested that I understood the repercussions. He said that I seemed like a genuine individual and that he would love to negate the ticket but that it was too late (already entered my information). That was a refreshing thought. He said that he would hurry (seemingly to inconvenience me the least), but I told him not to worry and that I had time. I was upset to have to add a parking violation to my list of responsibilities, but I was not necessarily upset with anyone. I actually felt pretty peaceful considering the circumstances. It seems that, after feeding four meters within a twenty minute period, I allowed my awareness to lapse and had, to a degree, grown careless with my actions. I blamed myself, but was not upset.

I was refreshed by another reminder that, when respect is shared between individuals in a stressful situation, it can actually remove most, if not all, of the negativity. Maya Angelou wrote that "if you don't like something, change it" but that "if you can't change it, change your attitude," and, as an honest nudge towards a happy and peaceful life, it rings true. I accepted that I couldn't change whether I would get a ticket, and, as such, I chose to, in a sense, change my attitude. I chose to adopt a different attitude than that expect of me, and it turned what could have been a disagreeable and unpleasant twist in my day into a learning experience. I could have been a jerk, but, trying to better myself and my actions, I chose to be pleasant and conversational in light of it all.. I think this positive reaction positively changed both his and my day.

I don't know if I would classify the direction in which I am attempting to guide my actions and reactions should be classified as a push towards optimism. I don't believe "optimism" is the most fitting term, but, then again, I think "acceptance" is too negative. I think I'm just trying to push myself towards acting, reacting and thinking in ways that will make me happy as well as those around me happy (which seems to, even in itself, help make me happy in return (perfect circle)).

I don't know what has led me to feeling so positive this evening (in light of a couple of today's events), but I think, if I read what I have just written, it would definitely show. I don't consider myself noble, and I know this post might seem to attempt to guide readers to think of me that way, but that is not my wish. I am trying to take the noblest routes in every situation to try to correct the flaws I find in myself. I see a lot of flaws in both myself and society, and, as Ghandi said, "you must be the change you wish to see in the world". So, since I have so much time for reflection, I'll try.

Wow, Ghandi quotation and everything. I must be feeling pretty darn good. I don't want people to congratulate me or pat me on the back. I am, in my opinion, typically average in actions and morality, but, because I don't think I act correctly, I'm trying to make efforts to change that. We'll see. Maybe, someday, I'll be a real boy!

Seriously, if someone asked me to try to drop quotations from Maya Angelou, Ghandi and Pinocchio in one post, I wouldn't have thought it possible, and I would have been wrong.

I think this pompous, snobbish, conceited and vain little post is over! I would forgo posting it for self-preservation, but that would negate the purpose and freedom of having this blog. So, I threw it out there, and I take full responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment