Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Grass Is Always Greener


I made this little Munny yesterday and named him "Naturally Sweet," and, somehow, he managed to lead me to a nice, short subject for a blog post. While talking to a close friend today (whose name I will leave out for anonymity), I felt like sending him a picture of my little completed project. It guided us towards a quick back-and-forth about our current situations. He works for a software company and rarely has time for such projects while I, currently, have nothing but said time on my hands. He remarked that I seemed to be developing quite an interest in customizing these little figures (a very accurate statement), and that he would love to take the time to pursue his own interests but that he had too many responsibilities. I joked that, at this juncture, my main responsibility (other than pursuit of scholastic enrollment), is ensuring that I am enjoying my much needed break. He noted that he would gladly trade places, and, though I don't have any inclination or desire to switch places or situations with anyone, I discouraged that thought by saying that my situation isn't that desirable (for once, discouragement feels like a noble motive). It led us to both realize that, as we age (though we are still young), we develop an true understanding of seemingly meaningless sayings. In this case, the saying that almost simultaneously came to mind was that "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence."

It seems that, no matter how close we may find ourselves to where we once aspired to find ourselves, as humans, we are never quite satisfied. We can never accept the status quo as any sort of summit, and we constantly search for some way that it could improve. Usually, that involves developing envy towards one aspect of someone else's life. We never stop to think about the entirety of the situation that could result from a realization of that desire. We never stop to put ourselves entirely in the other person's shoes. We simply express how we wish we could have that, wish we could be like that, or wish we could feel that. It seems that the grass in our own yard, as the saying would imply, is never quite as green as that of our neighbors, the saying's approximation of those close to us. Since green is the approximation of the desired cosmetic quality of grass, we view their greener yard as better than our own, and we desire to have their yard. We never stop to think that, possibly, they have a disastrous infestation of insects or a faulty foundation to their home. We just choose to focus on the one thing of theirs we desire and assert that we would love to call that our own.

Now, it may appear as placing myself on a pedestal and attempting to fulfill the noblest position of which I can think, but truly, I attempt to avoid craving that which others have. I may find it desirable, and there are many things to which I aspire, but I am truly content with my state of being. I face some hardships, and there are many things I wouldn't mind being able to add to my life, but, overall, I find my life very satisfying. I try to always keep that in mind, but I still chose to write this as a simple reflection on a topic which, today, I find to be of relevance.

No comments:

Post a Comment