Friday, November 12, 2010

Keeping Up Appearances


Today has to be the least productive day of the last year of my life. I sat around most of the day and didn't even shower until around 4:30pm. That may seem like a typical day off for some people, but I usually can't start my day without getting a shower right when I wake up. I just can't seem to feel comfortable about myself until I have showered, brushed my teeth, shaved and changed into some clean clothes, and, though I think it's mainly a force of habit, I think it has greater significance and relevance.

It says something about the social importance we place on appearance. I am constantly reminded that a large portion of the value we assign to people around us, especially strangers, is based on their external appearance. We use it to judge them on every level. We try to make guesses to categorize people and put them into neat little boxes so we can act and react to them in a manner we find suitable. Today, out of a weird internal decision structure, I neglected to shave (as I felt it was too late in the day and would cause issues with shaving tomorrow (not enough growth to shave comfortably, but enough that, if neglected, would not prove appropriate later in the day)). That may not seem to relevant, but the fact that I felt uncomfortable about my appearance (all other aspects were identical to any other day) made me think about how much value is placed on appearance. Though it may not affect our functions and actions, it seems to speak to our internal commitment to proper self-maintenance, and, as such, affects the actions and reactions of those around us. I can't think of anyone who thinks someone going into a bank who is freshly groomed and sporting a suit wouldn't get treated differently than someone showing up with tattered jeans, a shaggy beard and worn out shoes. Even walking down the street, I know that person would get treated differently. Though many of us try to act like we don't judge people based on their appearance, we do. We may not say it out loud, but we feel it. So, in the end, looking a bit off can affect your ability to go about your daily functions. Some of that is our fault, but I'm not arguing it should change. Today, I chose not to shave, and even I felt like I deserved less respect, and it just gave me something to think about. 

I think I'll cut it there because I am still intent on finishing my day much as it began, leisurely, and a long, thought-out post would conflict with that. So much for keeping up appearances...

No comments:

Post a Comment