Thursday, October 28, 2010

What's That Sound?


It doesn't matter where you live. If you leave your window open at night, there will, most likely be some recurring sound in the distance. I'm not trying to stereotype or make some comment about society, but I'll break it down by location. In many urban areas, that may be your neighbors. In most suburban areas, that may be neighborhood dogs. In some rural areas, that may be coyotes (as at my parents' house). Now, what's that sound for me? Of course there are some dogs, but the most constant sound is the bray of the donkeys in the distance (though two blocks can barely be classified as "in the distance"). Having just moved here, the sound of donkeys filling my ears at night was not something to which I was accustomed. So, I had no choice but to investigate the situation. I would have just disregarded the entire situation if I found out that someone nearby had a personal pace of donkeys, but that was not the case. It turns out it's a drove wild donkeys roaming the foothills just a couple blocks away. A couple days into my stay, I spotted one in the distance, and the sightings have been getting grander at each occasion. For instance, a few days later, TheGeorgeF (mentioned in a previous post), and I went exploring and spotted six of them. We attempted to fist-pump with them, "Jersey Shore" style, but they did not let us get close. Since then, I have seen groups of around eight of them, sometimes with people (seem to be parks employees) caressing them. A couple weeks ago, I actually had to stop my car so that a herd of nine of them could cross. I still regret not taking a picture, but my mind was so absolutely blown by the event that I neglected to even think of it. Hopefully it will happen again. Today, I saw twelve of them, and that's what prompted this quick and informal entry.

In other news, the chalkboard Munny I painted a couple days ago finally cured last night, and I was able to enjoy doodling on him. I am very pleased with the result, and, though I neglected to take a picture of him all doodled up, I did snap a few pictures of him as I put him back together. The pictures show him first as he was just after the paint had finished drying (24 hours after application), followed by a picture of him covered in chalk (the instructions said to rub the side of a piece of chalk all over it to prepare the surface and wipe it clean), and finally with the tape removed and reassembled.



Today's post was short, but I still felt it was a good idea to post something up. I don't think every post will be about some kind of current event topic, but this is what was on my mind today, and, as such, here it is. It may not be as formal as previous posts, but it gets the point across.

No comments:

Post a Comment