Sunday, October 31, 2010

Because I'm White?


It's definitely not rare to hear someone use the phrase "because I'm black", and it instantly strike a chord, causing some to feel a level of shame or embarrassment with regards to the sometimes negative influence the actions and beliefs of those in the past have had on our present society. We feel this guilt on a personal level because we view our ancestors as just that, our ancestors. They are the ones who carved this path for us, and we give great credit to them for the current condition and worth of both ourselves and our society. We take credit for their accomplishments, and, as such, we also feel an obligation to accept fault for their missteps. One major fault of which we are constantly reminded is the disparity of individuals based on their racial or religious background. Most notably, we feel great regret about the crushing of the African American community of the past (slavery) and the effects that are still being felt from that separation of cultures and classes. So, it is often common to hear someone explain that an unjust action or statement on the grounds of it being "because [they are] black". Though this is sometimes comically used as an explanation of a good stereotype the affected party decides to embrace ("Oh, I can dunk a basketball because I'm black"), it is usually used in an accusing manner to show disgust towards an action or statement of which they do not approve ("I got arrested because I'm black" or "Oh, you mean because I'm black?!?").  It's a quick statement or accusation that, though short, references and draws support from a deep-seated feeling of guilt and regret about mistakes of past society and the injustice it still promotes.

The knife of racial and social inequality does, however, cut both ways. It may not be considered as "cutting" for a white person such as myself to be viewed in a more positive light, and I do agree with that to a degree. I am very grateful for the doors it has kept from slamming in my face and the problems and inconveniences (unnecessary police actions) from which it has shielded me. However, being seen as different is usually not a positive feeling, and, through simple events, today reminded me of that fact. I went to somewhat of a specialized store to purchase some higher quality spray paints (due to dissatisfaction with the more mainstream variants as detailed in a previous post). It turns out that premium spray paints are usually only sought after by those interested in the art of graffiti, and, as that seems to, in the public eye, closely attach itself to the hip hop culture, deciphering the atmosphere of the store shouldn't be much of a guessing game. I'm definitely not saying that there is anything negative about the atmosphere as I greatly appreciate it and felt quite comfortable there, but I can say that I must have stood out quite drastically from their typical clientele. I made my first trip there a few days ago to purchase a couple items and had to return today to pick up a couple cans of paint. I am usually pretty quiet in my shopping ventures, but I was brought out of that bubble by the gentleman (hispanic for reference)  working the register asked, "Is this for a school project?", and by the few comments both before and after that sentence, I could only assume he was referring to a feeling that I was not using the product for it's typical purpose (graffiti) and was too clean-cut. So, in a joking manner, I replied, "because I'm white it has to be for school?" (to which the other employee (in the office) replied, "oh, little man's fresh!" in an excited and approving manner). After a quick back and forth, during which I was definitely not offended, I did not reveal anything about my use, but, in the back of my mind, that feeling of separation was digging at me. They weren't attacking me or seeming to want to insult me, but the statements reflected a feeling that I was different and, as such, usually not someone with whom they would relate or strongly associate with. I seemed to fit into a different crowd, and, though that is not something that perturbed me at the time, it reminded me of the separation and invisible segregation of our society. Once again, I was not hurt by them viewing me as different, but I was reminded of the disheartening fact that the quick judgments we unconsciously make with regards to others based on their racial, economic or religious background (first impression) cause us to separate our society and limit positive and open interaction. It's nothing new though, and not something that will or can change quickly.

Now, I don't intend this to be a push for any action to be taken or anyone to dissect their actions and beliefs with the intend that some guilt or concern would arise. I am not trying to shout out about a moral injustice and cause people to grab their pitchforks. I simply wanted to recount a simple event and what it caused me to ponder. It has, in the end, led me to believe that there are two sides to every story and two sides to some injustices. Even if one side is much more negative in nature and effect than the other, it's always nice to look at entire situations and avoid attempting to blame individuals (and especially avoid blaming racial or religious groups). In looking at the entire concept of playing the blame game, I can't think of a single winner, but I can think of plenty of losers.

Once again, it looks like, though not trying to push for anything, I threw in a little moral or ethical dissection into today's post. I just hope that's more common while trying to think of initial posts because I definitely don't want to add some political undertone to this blog.

Updates:
Yesterday (10/30/2010), I painted this guy, and his name is IronMunny. It's rough, but I'm building up any skill I might have, and I have fun with them even if the product turns out awful due to lack of skill. Since I can't project him in his three-dimensional form, let me at least provide a few shots to cover somewhat of a 360-rotation.








On Friday (10/29/2010), I quickly painted this guy dedicated to my favorite energy drink. His name is Monster Jr. (Lo Carb Edition), and this is, more or less, what he looks like as you view him from a few angles.




No comments:

Post a Comment